FEDERAL WAY, Wash., July 28, 2010 — Weyerhaeuser Company (NYSE: WY) today announced its 2009 sustainability performance results are available online at www.wy.com/sustainability. Weyerhaeuser uses an online reporting method that provides comprehensive, searchable access to its sustainability performance annually.
Highlights of Weyerhaeuser’s 2009 sustainability performance results include:
- Employees achieved a year-end recordable incident rate of 0.62, surpassing the previous year’s record-breaking recordable incident rate of 0.98. Sixty-seven percent of the company’s manufacturing facilities operated with zero lost-time injuries.
- The company’s cellulose fibers mills reported a 12.5 percent water-use reduction, on its journey toward a long-term goal of a 20-percent reduction from 2007 levels by 2012.
- Ninety-nine percent of the products Weyerhaeuser manufactures and the forests it manages worldwide are certified to sustainable forestry standards.
- The company reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by 13 percent from 2000 levels, making progress towards its commitment of a 40 percent reduction by 2020.
- Weyerhaeuser's entire iLevel product line received a "green" designation from the National Association of Home Builders Research Center and was certified for use under the National Green Building Standard.
- The company’s homebuilding subsidiaries continued their leadership in building green homes, with recognition from a number of organizations, including the National Association of Homebuilders and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Weyerhaeuser and the Weyerhaeuser Company Foundation donated $3.8 million in charitable-giving grants, and 1,017 employees and retirees contributed 10,714 hours to volunteer projects through the company’s Making WAVES program.
- Weyerhaeuser was recognized by the investor-backed Forest Footprint Disclosure Project for leadership in managing its operations and supply chains to minimize the effects on forests worldwide.
- Weyerhaeuser was included on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index North America, named one of the 100 Best Corporate Citizens by Corporate Responsibility Magazine, and recognized as one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” by Ethisphere Institute.
Weyerhaeuser has published a sustainability report since 2002, following the guidelines recommended by the Global Reporting Initiative, a voluntary process for standard reporting on the economic, environmental and social dimensions of a company’s activities, products and services. The company has published an annual environmental performance report since 1993, and moved the information entirely online in 2007. The current web-based update is our fourth report produced using the GRI's G3 guidelines to an application level of "A."
Weyerhaeuser Company, one of the world’s largest forest products companies, began operations in 1900. We grow and harvest trees, build homes and make a range of forest products essential to everyday lives. We manage our timberland on a sustainable basis in compliance with internationally recognized forestry standards. At the end of 2009, we employed approximately 14,900 employees in 10 countries. We have customers worldwide and generated $5.5 billion in sales in 2009. Our stock trades on the New York Stock exchange under the symbol WY. Additional information about us is available at http://www.weyerhaeuser.com.
More Information: Contact Us